Lukes Lane

Te Aro, Wellington
  • 📬 1 Street Numbers
  • 🛍 Places
  • 💬 1 Comment
Loading...

Street Numbers

2..

214
Named after Luke & Sons, an engineering foundry established by Samuel Luke who emigrated from Cornwall when the tin mines had a dramatic reduction in profitabilty. Luke & Sons built NZ's first steel ship (Matai) and the lighthouses at Castlepoint & Palliser Bay. Samuel Luke's sons later established Luke Brothers (in what is now Chaffers Street). One of the sons, Sir John Pearce Luke, made & donated the gates at the entrance to Central Park. Sir John Pearce Luke was both Mayor and MP; he was knighted after the 1918 'flu pandemic for his services to the city. His brother, Sir Charles Manley Luke, was also Mayor of Wellington in the early 20th Century.
Posted 2006-04-25T22:33:08.000Z