One of the crucial battles of the Waikato campaign was fought at Rangiriri Pa on 20 November 1863. The Maori's threw up a defensive line across a narrow strip between the Waikato river and Lake Waikare. After the Rangiriri battle Te Whero's Redoubt was built on Maori earthworks nearby to house the British garrison. In the township the Heritage Centre has a small museum and a video worth seeing which gives both sides of the story. There is a small admission charge. To listen to the Audio Guide go to: DayOut Audio Guides
to download it.
Comments about Rangiriri Pa and Te Whero's Redoubt
This place has no comments yet.