Mangungu Mission House

Kohukohu, Far North
Loading...
Nearby
Mata Pa, Motiti Island, Horeke School, Ruapapaka Island, Hokianga Harbour, Kohukohu Library, Fire Station Kohukohu, Kohukohu Primary School, Kohukohu Playcentre, Kohukohu Playcentre, Police Station Kohukohu, Tutehe Pa, Motukiore Island, Karewakirunga Pa or Muriwai's Pa, Makauekaue Pa or Whakaue Pa, Motukiore, Paapua, Ngatitoro Marae,
dayout
The Wesleyans founded their second mission station in New Zealand at Mangungu in 1828. The surviving mission house, a simple wooden building that is vaguely Georgian in appearance, was built in 1838-39 after an earlier house burned down. On 12 February 1840 a crowd gathered in front of the house for the second major signing of the Treaty of Waitangi. The house was removed to Onehunga in 1855, where it remained until 1972, when it was returned to its original site and restored as a significant relic of the mission period. To listen to the Audio Guide go to: DayOut Audio Guides to download it.
Posted 2006-05-03T13:51:20.000Z